We were advised in late 2016 by our local law enforcement that they felt the Shady Grove / Twin Hickory area had become too overdeveloped and that they would not continue to issue bike race permits due to traffic density. We began the painstaking search for a new race site immediately, and found an ideal location in Chesterfield County. We designed an event that met all of our many criteria: among those, a low traffic density for the adult bike course, roads we could close entirely for the kids, and even a paratriathlon-friendly course for disabled athletes. Nearly 6 months after an initial agreement with the property to host the Powerkids and Powersprint Triathlons in 2018, their management declined to move forward. We'd already gotten preliminary approval from both the police and VDOT for the courses, so we're just heartbroken at the venue's change of direction.
We've been traveling all over the state this past year, from Va Beach to Appamattox, looking for new potential race venues - none of which have panned out. At this point we do not have a host site for Powersprint or Powerkids, though we continue our search.
- Best & biggest Kid's triathlon in Virginia!
- Entry includes: race t-shirt, finisher medal, moon bounce, snacks, drinks, swim caps, vendors, professionally timed tri with all 5 splits!
- Shady Grove YMCA in Richmond's far West End is the host race site, some call it the "Short Pump bubble" where you have access to so many restaurants, shopping, and amenities like Short Pump Mall
- Kids ages 5-15 (age as of 12/31/2017) : 2 separate distances & start times. Does your 4-year-old turn 5 by 12/31? They can race!
- Power Family Tri weekend with parents racing GroundForce IT Power Sprint Tri the next day
The Shady Grove YMCA Summer Kids Camp Programs
YMCA Summer Camp can be a memorable and magical time for children and families. By donating to the “campership” program you are helping send children to camp even if their parents cannot pay the full fee. Your generosity now will mean more happy children in September.
Check Out the Race Video: